Wednesday 15 April 2009

Outrage.

Last night, I was watching The Hospital on Channel 4, last night's "theme" was Teenage Pregnancy. This programme has induced a bit of a rant (Y).

If you haven't watched the programme, it's series about the NHS dealing with "teen excess", drug/alcohol abuse, obesity, teen pregnancies, that sorta stuff.
Last night's ep was based in a hospital in Birmingham, & it was honestly awful to watch. I don't know how to post this blog without sounding like a stuck up snob, but these really are teens that give teens in general a bit of a bad name. I understand that mistakes happen, but seriously .. there are sensible approaches to these kinda situations or there's these kinda attitudes ...


"I'd been having unprotected sex with him for a while, so I didn't think I'd get pregnant."
-One teen Mum, when asked about contraception.

"I'm sorry, you can't have a birthing pool, that's more for low-risk pregancies." - Qualified doctor to young teen Mum who was having major complications.
"I hate you all!" Teen Mum's very mature response.

"She might be a baby now, but she won't be a baby for the rest of her life."
- Pearl of wisdom from a teen Mum about her new baby girl.

"Dya know, I haven't had a fag yet!"
- A teen Mum. She hadn't had a fag because she'd been in the operating theatre.


I honestly believe that your age doesn't neccesarily affect whether you'll be a good parent or not, but with the attitudes & statements above, that's what is going to determine a struggle.
I don't think these girls are seriously stupid, I think that these girls needed more help & education on the subject of sex & contraception. It's about time the NHS stopped just showing programmes like these making teens out to be idiots, & started properly educating the teens, then see the pregnancy rates slow.

Adios 'till my next post.
x